Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by USMCFLYR View Post
Can't I stay on the ground for two more minutes and burn off that extra 10 pounds of fuel?

Of course I'm *trying* to be funny here but the point is well taken. I still say that you try to do the right thing every time - but I guarantee that you won't be able too - everytime. The other day I broke my SOP crew day by about 15 minutes; but the command already knew that was a possibility and had given their consent to get the mission completed.
Unless an actual law was broken, the chain of command can legitimately authorize/direct almost any deviation from military policy.

Both military and airlines have strict zero-tolerance drug abuse policies...

If an airline directed it's pilots to take amphetamines to allow them to work longer days during a weather crisis, we would all be astounded, congress would investigate, the FBI would arrest people, and the FAA would ground the airline.

The military, despite THEIR zero-tolerance, will turn around and do exactly that.

One of the unique things about civilian piloting is that the pilot is sort an independent contractor. He is paid to fly by the company, but he also has a duty to comply with/enforce FAA regs...even if the company says otherwise. This can frequently put you between a rock and hard place in 91, 135, and low-end 121. It's a fine line sometimes.