View Single Post
Old 07-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Resjah
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Default Hello all! Im new here and...

... Im hoping some of you guys could give me a couple of tips on getting into the Airline Industry.

To start off, I'm currently 16 years old, I live in south Florida, and I am about to enter into my Junior year of High School. My school has an aviation program which I have been actively in since 9th grade, and for two years I have maintained an A+ in that class continously.

I want to join the Air Force, so I figured a good way to prepare for that would be to join the Civil Air Patrol and I am currently a C/2lt. I am planning on taking flight lessons at my local airport when I am about 16 1/2.

Through CAP, I have done a lot of stuff that gives me a closer taste of what Air Force life is like, I have been to many events and soon I am leaving to Missouri for an Air Education and Training command familirization course.

I wish to become a fighter pilot, and through my time of meeting some civilian pilots and Air Force personnel all of basically said its training is very rigourous and not many make it etc. well I hope to be one the ones that do make it.

I have considered a lot of options to achieving this dream. At first I was all gung ho about going to the Air Force Academy, but I have realized there is the chance that I don't get in, so I have been thinking of other options such as going to Embry-Riddle. During my time at CAP's officer school, I had the fortune of meeting a 2lt in the airforce who graduated from Embry-Riddle and he was telling me how you "could always tell an academy graduate from a college graduate" and he said some other stuff too but typing it all would make this post really long, but whet he said got me thinking maybe the AFA isn't for me, but I'm still keeping it in my options.

Embry-Riddle is seriously expensive, and sadly Im no rich kid, so I try hard to do well school and so far I have been top 10% in my class for 2 years and take some AP (Advanced placement) courses as well, hoping I could get some scholorships.

I have also been considering that maybe one day I might transition from the AirForce to a commerical airline (you guys make some big bucks), But Im not too sure if a commercial airliner would hire a guy who flys around small fast jets to pilot the larger commerical or cargo aircraft .

So, does anyone here have tips, hints, pointers for a young kid like me.

Thank you.