View Single Post
Old 08-31-2008, 11:11 PM
ryguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B777 FO

Originally Posted by proskuneho View Post
Wow, just as I feared. They should reflect that on their career page so newbies like me don't get their hopes up when they say that their mins are 1000 tt. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. I guess the word gullible isn't in the dictionary either...
BTW, I don't know the "infamous case of an EK Captain who joined CX as an SO." Please fill me in or tell me where to find the story. Thanks.
It is no different than other Majors that publish mins between 1000-1500tt. The one thing you will learn is published mins and competitive mins are very different things. Not too many airlines are going to let someone with 1000 hours sit at the controls of a 747 across the Pacific. I paid almost 10 years worth of dues to get here. The exception of course is the cadets. They get in with very very little time but it is just something that the company has to do in that area of the world to operate there. The good news is, the cadet program is open to Hong Kong ID card holders and not just permanent residents anymore. The only way to get around paying dues is to be related to someone in high places, for some that works well.