Old 08-31-2008, 11:50 PM
KoruPilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Contract purgatory

Likely the people getting hired know how to spell it for starters . . . sorry, cheap shot but I just couldn't resist. It's Qantas mate, no 'u'.

I would assume, with ease really, that the published SO minimums at QF are very close to Air NZ, which is something like 500 hours and the ATPL writtens complete.

In reality, at Air NZ and again likely over at QF, the reality is something much different. My interview class three years ago at ANZ was a bunch of captains or Airforce commanders with at least 3500 total. Most of us had at least four figures of turbine command, a couple had jet command, and the times went as high as 7000 hours.

People in this neck of the woods take SO positions with the majors here, QF and ANZ, because they are generally from here and want to stay here; ie. do not want to go to CX, EK etc. For that reason the competition is pretty fierce. Also, for either airline, you would at least require permanent residency to be accepted for an interview. If you do not have that, or any chance of getting it, you will simply not get an interview.