Thread: CFI training
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2008, 02:02 PM
250 or point 65
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by chai rome View Post
I work at a flying club with lots of tailwheel airplanes and want as much tailwheel experience I can get before my CFI. People have been telling me the CFI checkride needs to be in a complex a/c, but I would much more prefer to do it in the backseat of a citabria (I've already been checked out for the backseat). All I saw in the FARs was that it needs to be in the same category and class.
Anyone know if the CFI needs to be done in a complex a/c?
I promise that this is not meant to offend. It is always perfectly acceptable to ask other people if you are unsure of the answer to a question, however, YOU are going to be the CFI, and YOU need to either know the answer to this, or where to find it. Never ever rely on hearsay or just repeat what others have told you. Do not be the cause of misinformation.

You are going to be signing people off for FAA checkrides. What would you do if you were signing someone off to become a CFI to ensure that they had completed all the required training and had the correct equipment (including aircraft) for the ride? The short answer is "look it up". You are going to be doing this a lot because it is impossible to know everything, however, it is not impossible to find anything! Always have proof.

On a kinda side note, I'm pretty sure that just about every CFI checkride starts with "prove to me that you are eligible to take this ride"...i think that when you find the answer to the question in the right place, you will also be able to answer this question!

GOODLUCK with your CFI! There are people out there that will tell you that CFI'ing is miserable, but I found it to be one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.