View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 07:34 AM
HalinTexas
Feeling blessed.

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: Was I finally in the right place at the right time?

Originally Posted by ClipperJet View Post
Does anyone know the actual numbers of aircraft/pilots before deregulation vs now? We all know the industry has changed--dramatically and probably irreversably in the past 30 years, but does anyone have hard numbers?

How many major airline pilots/planes were there in 1960? 70? 80? 90? 00?
How many regional airline pilots/planes were there in 1960? 70? 80? 90? 00?

We could then figure out if there are more or fewer of us out there relative to the overall population. That would give us some insight over pay.

If, back in the day, there were very few airline pilots then one would expect the pay to be higher. If the proportions are the same today, then we would expect the pay to be relatively the same. If there are more of us today (adjusted, per capita) then the pay would naturally trend downward. (Note I said "would" not "should" trend downward)

Does anyone have the real numbers? I'm curious.

I don't think such a raw metric will tell you that much. For one thing, a comparison to miles or hours flown would be necessary with a comparison to number of seats and/or sizes of airplanes. Jets vs. props. Two vs. three man crews. Etc.

Another thing. When the airlines were regulated, the government basically assured that there would be a profit. Ticket prices were exorbantently when compared to the income of the average American. It was a luxury, not mass transit that it is today. "Back in the day" vs. today comparisons of pay in a regulated market will not give an accurate depiction of supply/demand for pilots. It was pretty rare to have a non-ex-military pilot hired into the majors back then.

If you want to really find out what a pilot is worth in terms of salary, outlaw unions and wait a few years to see who's left and what they're paid. I would bet a TRUCK driver would be making as much as an AirBUS A380 driver.