View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 09:48 AM
SPDBOILER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Yes & Yes!

[quote=Nightsky;429700]Good post. Several of the reasons you list are why I want to leave. This is my second career; I left a stable local gov't job. At the time, it seemed right as I was bored and ready for a change. Now, I'm bored, and paid less, and home less, and have less stability, and have less benefits, and an unhappy family. I miss stable schedules, miss my hobbies, miss my family and doing things with them on their days off - now mine never match theirs of course - and I miss the days when things were 'simpler'. So in summary, I miss the 'simple life', since becoming an airline pilot things have become stressful and complicated on so many levels. I work to live, not vice versa, and I've found that isn't very compatible with this career. I was much happier before, though I took it for granted. Now I and my family pay the price.

Very good thread.

I too chose aviation as a second career, much for the same reason. I had grown stagnant and wanted a challenge. I went to a 90 day flight school, got my ratings, and went to work with a 135 cargo outfit. I did not enjoy that experience very much but I was "lucky" to get an opportunity with a 121 carrier. I was just about finished with my training and decided I had enough. In a year and a few months, I had been away from home almost 10 months total. I was not enjoying myself, the pay was and would continue to be low for the forseeable future, and my quality of life was not what I was used to having prior to entering aviation. Add a potential furlough to that and I was certain it was time to leave. It certainly is not for everyone. Flying will always be a part of my life but I doubt I will ever again make it my career.

I have been lucky enough to have maintained some relationships from my prior life and have recently accepted a job with a past customer of mine. The compensation package I will have is far better than I could expect from an aviation career for many years to come. Typical Mon-Fri work week, all major holidays off, two weeks vacation, etc.

It has been a wild ride but I am happy that I am back at home and getting back to my normal "boring" life. I am glad I took a chance on aviation. I would have always asked myself what if otherwise. But it appears it was not for me. Good luck to all of you who continue to pursue the dream. I hope the industry rebounds again soon.