View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
Hawaii50
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 757 Left

Originally Posted by Fly4hire View Post

I don't agree a one size fit's all int//domestic 757/67 categorey is problematic from a proficiency standpoint - we have a few pilots now who focus on one element or the other to avoid or bid international routes. Most of the time it goes senior so those doing want to and do it frequently. See few of these trips assigned to reserve. There is also outstanding materials in our flight manuals, cockpit QRMS, as well as fleet bulletins for all international flying that provide step by step for those who need brushing up. Let's not put international stuff up on a pedastal - it's the easiest flying most of us have ever done.

Back to the orginal question - do we have a feel on whether NWA pilots will be incorporated into the Intl or Domestic side of the bid category?
You're right that it is generally the easiest flying but it also has the greatest potential for mistakes that may get your name in lights if your not very careful, especially with some of the European noise departures, South American depressurization routes, etc. I think CVG's point is that it's different enough that if you only do every few months your going to have to look at it carefully. The domestic 757/767 categories are so big here that if it were all rolled into one some guys may not see much international at all. That said, I know we could do it but my main concern is enabling the company to do the job with fewer pilots. The last thing we need is fewer pilot jobs so a few more guys can get their jollies flying where ever they want. That's my opinion only, of course, but either way the group goes a combined category is a concession and should be compensated accordingly.

As for your last question, I would assume if all NW 757 guys are international qualed now they would stay that way.

Last edited by Hawaii50; 09-05-2008 at 10:56 AM.