View Single Post
Old 09-05-2008, 01:26 PM
ryguy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: B777 FO

Originally Posted by nathanexplosion View Post
I can give you my personal experience, but keep in mind it's just my opionion.

I started at CX as a DEFO thinking I had reached my career company. Two years later I was quite happy to leave. I never failed an RT/PC or a line check (all three legs of it), but in my OPINION it's a very unpleasant airline culture generally speaking. Checking and training are particularly unpleasant.

Your CX experience depends largely on who you have for your checks and training. If you luck out and get good guys (or manage your sick calls effectively), it's OK. If you draw a short straw and get someone notorious, the ramifications can be far-reaching.

There was a lot of anti-americanism when I was there, but I've heard it's been dialed back. A direct quote from the B744 program manager when I received my RPIC (Relief Pilot in Command) checkout, "You North Americans do fine between Anchorage and Hong Kong, but when you come to the pax fleet, the wheels fall off."

At the end of the day, no airline is perfect. You just have to decide what you want to put up with and what you don't. For me, I didn't want to spend a career dealing with CX's particular brand of bullsh!t. Which really means they weren't paying me enough to ignore it

I have no doubt that is your experience. I had several of the names out there and can say they have definitely been toned down. There is a very big effort coming from the top trying to reign those particular people in. So far that effort has been successful, especially since the all mighty HKG Captains have been flying the freighter in N. America. I think many of them have been humbled a bit since they have as hard of a time understanding ATL center as we do Taipei.

The good thing is now the effort has been made official and some of the old hats have been removed from their positions. Hopefully you moved on to something that is a better fit. CX isn't for everyone but thankfully it is changing from your experience.