Old 09-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Nightsky
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006

I have a SODA for color vision, issued in 1995 when I first started flying. I'm confused - does this apply only to LOE's? Are they not issueing SODA's anymore? My SODA test was very easy - just look at the lightgun signals from the tower. It took about 6 months, but eventually I got my SODA from the FAA, and was told at that time it was good for my lifetime.

And, yes Dan, people with heart problems can fly. My good friend had a sudden and severe atrial fibrillation episode that required hospitilization. During that time he was diagnosed with tachyardia that was life threatening, and had to undergo surgery on the nerves in his heart. He was out of work for just over a year, and had to jump through an endless series of hoops and tests, but about 15 months later he had his medical back. He's been told quite a few pro pilots have gone through this same ordeal.

I myself am out on medical leave due to a sudden but temporary heart condition, and I'm in limbo waiting to hear from the FAA, and it has been financially devastating!

This field can be very frustrating. I remember when I found out I was color vision deficient - I had no clue prior, and it was a crushing blow. But like I said I got a SODA, and that was over a decade ago. I'm very sorry to hear of your situation and hope everything works out for you.