Old 09-07-2008, 03:44 PM
maxjet
VHR-very happily retired

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Retired

Originally Posted by sizzlechest View Post
How can you be an airline instructor if you can't even be an airline pilot? Unlike other professions, aviation is not a "those who can do and those who can't teach" business. If this Schittle captain can't even pass a PC, why in the hell would you want him as his instructor? The FAA (in 8900) says that instructors should be of above average skill/knowledge..... not in the case of this guy..... plus he moonlights for a competing airline... talk about poor taste...
I really could not disagree more with you. There are plenty of instructors who have never even been captains or for that matter airline pilots. CAE in YUL employs several of them. Pushing the buttons from the back and watching the results does not take much in the way of line skills. The sim, like any other computer is a procedure trainer that happens to act mostly like the particular aircraft that it represents. CAE at YUL is the worst training facility I have ever experienced. There is absolutly no standardization between instructors. I have been through 5 type ratings in my career. CAE YUL is by far the worst training facility and program that I have ever seen. The thing that Compass has going for it is that we only hire folks with ATP minimums (well mostly). A 250 hour wonderkid who was trained on a CRJ and then came to this program fresh from the 141 program would fail miserably due to the lack of good standardized instruction. I for one will be very glad when the E175 sim is installed at NATCO. As far as the Shuttle instructor I didn't meet him or her when I was in training so I am not sticking up for them when I say, Quit your hatin and go onto some thing more important. BTW I hope you don't believe in bad Karma. Kind of like laughing at the bad landing your FO had and then you have 5 bad ones in a row.