Thread: wwyd
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM
johnso29

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B757/767

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Run, don't walk away from the airlines. You say you're not sure you want to give up the 'dream'. What kind of dream includes wal-mart wages, living out of a suitcase and spending half your nights in hotels, never ending instability, having to worry if any slight medical issue will end your career, missing out on half of your kids life, etc etc. This isn't a dream, it's a nightmare. Being a doc, you should know that to even have to question what to do in your situation warrants time in front of a shrink.

Go for it, don't look back. You'll thank yourself!

O.K. But what kind of dream provides endless meetings, e-mails, telephone conferences, being locked in a cubicle, not being able to save a persons life or fix their problem, telling someone they just lost of loved one, missing out on half of your kids life, etc. Just because it isn't flying doesn't mean it's any better. I've run into many people in non aviation careers who are just as busy(if not MORE busy) than I am. I even had one guy tell me he envied me because I got to leave my job behind when I was done flying. He had to work 70 hours a week, and that didn't include the emails he had to sort through when he got home. And doctors don't exactly work rosie hours. It's a good bet they work MORE than pilots.