Thread: CFII Help
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by floridaCFII View Post
Are you sure about that? It's a checkride for a certificate, rating, or operating privilege, so it should count for the BFR under 61.56(d). That's what I've been told through my training and by management at the school I'm working at now.
I'm 100% sure...I've seen people get sent home from interviews because they assumed their cfi ride was a BFR, and they showed up with hundreds of hours dual given, but out of currency for most of it

Go read it again...you're leaving out the word PILOT, which is in front of "certificate, rating, or operating privilege". A instructor cert is NOT a pilot cert/rating... only PPL, IR, COMM, ATP, or type rides count for that. The theory is that an instructor ride focuses on teaching skills, not stick and rudder...an examiner could in theory fly the whole ride himself while you talk. There's an FAA legal interpretation on this too.

What's really confusing is that some FSDO's will accept an instructor ride as a BFR...but if you go somewhere else you can be in trouble. Most airlines probably know the legally correct answer too.