View Single Post
Old 07-10-2006, 08:13 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by C175
American Flyers is a school that has been around for 60 years and was founded on the need for training instrument pilots. And that's their bread and butter today. I don't really think they are "hiding" anything about multi time, they just don't concentrate on it. If you want multi go to ATP, if you want to know how to fly on instruments and not kill yourself once you take an approach down to mins and have to go missed and then some, go to Flyers.
They are pretty good about instruments...you will be encouraged to fly in actual during your instrument training which is something that not all flight schools even allow

But they do not provide any opportunities to build ME time and to make it worse, they do not allow their instructors to even work as an MEI on the side! I had to do MEI work on the DL, even though I was not competeting with them in the multi market. I eventually just quit flyers to do MEI only. They create this little bubble of unreality where ME time just isn't important...they have 1800 hour single-engine only CFI's who wake up one day and realize they are screwed! Actually a fair number of AF alumni can be found in the caravan world...which is a dead end.

Unless you are CURRENTLY employed as an MEI, you need to start scamming for every minute of twin time you can get, as early in the game as possible, even while you are still working on other ratings.