Old 09-14-2008, 05:58 AM
DAL4EVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives

Originally Posted by CRMcaptain View Post
Hello,

I have a bunch of questions about logging time ... so here we go:

1) I'm an IFR student, and the new school I transfered to has an Elite RC-1 FTD. The CFI logged my flight today the exact way you will log a regular flight (including approaches, landings, and ASEL and TOTAL TIME) the only difference is that he also put Sim Time. The sim is brand new ... and they didn't have that much experience with it ... so my question is the following:

How should I log sim time?

2) He mentioned that is possible for me to do cross countries in the sim (to satisfy the 50h requirement) ... is that possible?

3) Can you log both dual and PIC at the same time? My previous flight instructor didn't do that ... he only logged dual time not PIC time for our IFR lessons.

4) I can do 20 hours worth of training for my IFR in the sim ... 20 hours of doing what? What are the limitations?
As echoed before, you cannot log sim time towards any "flight time" that means total, etc. Many instructors get confused by this as sim time counts as flight time for the purpose of a rating but you cannot count is as flight time in your log book. Unless you leave the ground, its not flight.

I would also be wary about adding dual and PIC. Here's the reason: right now you may have low flight time and every hour counts. Believe me I remember that time. Someday however, you will get to an interview. I'm not sure about the regional but the major interview when it comes they will be exact on your flight time. They will do a simple addition of multi- and single and see if it equals TT. They will also add up PIC, SIC and Dual. If these numbers don't add up you will have to explain in the interview. They will argue back depending on the interviewer and I would hate to see you not get a major job over an accounting error in your logbook. 20,50, even 100 hours may seem like a lot now but someday it won't. The only thing you will care about is accuracy in front of an interview panel.

You can make any logbook correction by making a new entry and subtracting the time in the appropriate column. Then in the remarks you can add "Subtracted xx PIC hours to account for dual given". Sign your name and the FAA, Interviewers and everyone will be happy.

I used to give interviews so this is the most correct way to do it. Good luck.