View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 09:03 AM
DAL4EVER
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: 88B - Loud Pipes Save Lives

Originally Posted by DALMD88FO View Post
I get paid at least 80/hours a month. So your point is that in order to make up for our contract pay rates I should work more days to make up the difference. When were you hired, what do you fly? I was making $94/hour in Feb 05 when I came off of furlough, I was on fourth year pay. I'm leaving the Mad Dog on 9th year pay and making $92/hour. As for the 401k question I don't put anything extra other than what the company puts in.
I know for a fact that FOs around your seniority are doing significantly better. One of my friends is junior to you (recalled in May '05) and routinely gets 120+ hour months in the summer with a couple of green slips.

As far as the 401k goes, I don't know what your situation is but not putting anything extra towards your 401k is going to cost you dearly over the years. If you put in 15% of your salary plus the 11% of the company contribution you will put in 26% of your salary every year for retirement. That, coupled with compounding interest, will make you far wealthier than the pension would have. However, failure to do that could result in you leaving a couple of million dollars on the table. Invest it my friend. Heck, with the 757 pay you're going to make, take that difference and put it in the 401k. You can clearly get by on MD88 pay so the difference won't be noticed now but will surely be noticed in 20 years.