View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 02:03 PM
scorpion611
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2008

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
No Diabetes, Cardiac problems, or other serious diseases. A serious condition which is stable (not getting worse) might be OK if you can do your job as a pilot.

20/20 Vision corrected in each eye. Corrected means you can wear glasses/contacts.

Normal Color Vision...this gets more folks than anything. You can be a private pilot without color vision.

"Normal" Hearing...actually the standards are pretty low.

No mental health issues.

No neurological issues.

No condition which could cause sudden, unexpected incapacitation.

Sufficient strength and range of motion to do your pilot duties. Handicapped folks get medicals all the time, they might need special equipment to operate controls.

Plus some other stuff...

As far as weight...significant obesity and/or high blood pressure might cause the FAA to refer you for more advanced testing which might reveal other disqualifying problems (like clogged arteries).

If you are going to be a career pilot you will want to get in shape...chances are that you will not be able to keep your medical to age 65 if you have a significant weight issue.
I plan on geting back into shape. Just had an operation that prevented me from doing sports. I was wondering if I could start my flight training right away or I had to wait until I got back into shape.

Last edited by scorpion611; 09-14-2008 at 06:59 PM.