Thread: Logging Time
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2008, 02:50 PM
multipilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

Originally Posted by floridaCFII View Post
Thanks rickair... that makes a lot more sense. My employer has our students log Sim/FTD and Dual for instruction that occurs in the sim, and then we subtract that Dual back out when they do their 8710s. It seems like it's adding a needless extra step to me, but what can I say... they like paperwork here.

Since I trained at the same place I work, my FTD time is logged this way as well. I guess if asked in an interview, I'll just explain the logging method.

What I would do, after you finish filling up your current page in your logbook, is subtract the total "dual" received in FTDs from your current total dual received. That should give you your total dual-airplane time. Then adjust your dual column accordingly in the totals at the bottom of the page to reflect your total dual-airplane time. Do the same for total time and cross-country time if you logged it in those columns as well. Also, put a note in the bottom margin of the page that says something to the effect of, "Dual, cross-country, and total time has been adjusted X hours for dual, cross-country, and total time logged in FTDs." Then date and initial the note. Now you can start on a new page with the correct numbers and your times should add up as rick mentioned earlier.

I made a similar mistake when I was going through my instrument (which an examiner caught) and I adjusted for it and made the note at the bottom. It's a lot easier and makes your logbook look a lot cleaner than if you were to go in there and green all of it out. No one mentioned it when I interviewed with several airlines earlier this year and I got hired.