View Single Post
Old 09-15-2008, 12:37 PM
W0XOFF
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Originally Posted by Overnitefr8 View Post
As Whale's post says, stock splits are stictly psychological. You don't get anymore money from them.
As my dear, sainted mammy once told me: 'Don't ever listen to . .or take financial advice from a pilot. They are mostly all blithering idiots when it comes to money sense.'

Mammy was nearly always right . .and you dolts prove her point.

Glad I didn't listen to any of the Wall Street Journal reading crew force when I went into hock for twice my annual F/O salary back then to buy those 1500 shares at the 'employee IPO' price of $22/share. Yup . . 'stock splits are strictly psychological' . . what a dipstick.

If you listened to the large waterlogged mammal -and the dope above, you would have nada, instead of the (after 4 'splits') 24,000 (+ more purchased on the 'Employee Stock Purchase Plan') shares -at the $90.50 it might close at today Fedex Corp (FDX) - Stock chart, Index chart - MSN Money

If you got a $10 stock that splits you DO NOT have just 2 $5 shares! You have a stock priced now in the range of a lot more people who were reticent to buy it at the higher price. All of a sudden, your 2 $5 shares are worth . . $20 . . $40 . . more . . due to market forces.

It isn't just the Whale who's all wet. I have the nice retirement portfolio to prove it. Oh . .yeah . . that crappy 500 shares of Apple stock I bought at about $13 a share has split twice . . yep . . 'splits' are just a figment of the imagination.