View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 06:24 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Do what you enjoy

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
It's all about perspective. After you pay your bills, it's about doing what you enjoy.

I had no problems living within my means on first year pay. Yeah, it wasn't always fun being cheap, and yeah I'm furloughed right now. I'll go back when I get recalled. It wasn't hard finding another job that made ends meet but I can't imagine paying the bills while still having this many days off, seeing the places I get to see, and meeting the people I get to meet in many other professions. You dust off, and you keep going.

I'm sure sky will chime in on my remarks. I know a lot of people in skilled trades that are out of work right now. Also have two friends working in the financial field that just lost jobs that were supposedly secure. Times are tough.
The good thing about being a pilot is that we do not have far to fall. Most gas station jobs can provide enough to replace a regional FO's income.

Sure a lot of people are out of a job right now. Some of them are pilots who have 90k or more in student loans to pay back. Income is important. Over time you will watch as your peers buy houses, get married and begin to build lives.

People do not become plumbers because they think it is fun. They do it because it holds a real promise of providing a good living for their family. Have fun but know that it comes at a price. Often those who have to pay are the ones who are counting on you to provide for them.

SkyHigh