View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
webecheck
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

Originally Posted by Adlerdriver View Post
All,
In addition to above quote, there have been several references to UAVs providing CAS to troops in need.
Are we really allowing a predator to perform the same CAS mission that an F-16/15E/18 is taking care of in the AOR? If I were in a "need CAS NOW" type of situation, I'm not sure I'd be real happy if my plea for help was answered with a UAV instead of a manned CAS aircraft (no matter who was flying it and how good their judgment was).
I'll be the first to acknowledge my lack of knowledge on all things UAV, but from a basic fighter pilot's point of view, I don't see the two as equal.
YES, been there done it.

some ekia from a drop using an army uav. some from using a pred. in fact, in todays world of high technology, a uav is sometimes better. when you need someone to loiter, track, provide good video to gnd/cc, and/or keep watching the ants run from building to building and wait until they're in one place long enough, you need something with long legs. i was twice burned by the viper who had to hit the tanker. not a slam at the viper guys, i am one, just stating a fact. why do you think sec gates is pushing it so hard? bottom line, it is incredibly effective. old school cas as most of us know it has changed a little. now, the weapons can do the cas. how else could a b-1 or b-52 perform the mission...they sure as hell cant wheel it up.