View Single Post
Old 09-17-2008, 05:33 PM
LivingInMEM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007

A couple of responses point by point:

Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
IA final thought before I go--can you stick a UPT washout in the back of a Bone or Buff? Many of us disagree. You don't think the backseat of a Bone should be occupied by a pilot do you?
I have no qualms with a UPT washout sitting in the back of a B-1 (after the requisite training has been accomplished, of course) just as I have no qualms with that same person occupying the sensor operator position of a UAV console. We are talking pilot position here.

They're dropping bombs in a combat environment, but their role is not pilot, it's nav/bombadier/wso/dso/whatever the current term is.
No, not really - lets go apples to apples here. In the back of a B-1 they are part of a crew that is dropping bombs, all under the command of an aircraft commander (who has completed UPT and gained significant experience prior to assuming that role) who has the authority to consent or not consent to the weapons release. Let's keep this comparison AC to AC. I don't consider the N/B/W/D role the same as the guy with the sole authority to press the pickle button.

Your argument is predicated first on that operating a UAV is the same as flying an aircraft.
I never said that, feel free to review my posts. I said that the most difficult part of employing a combat MWS is not flying the MWS, it is actual expenditure of ordnance. If all you had to do was fly the UAV (such as the trans-Pacific UAV freighters FedEx will have before too long), then put anyone at the controls. But if you are going to put US Forces in harm's way with the understanding that their aerial support will be provided by these UAV's and ordnance may/may not be expended - then we default to the combat experience. This is no place for neophytes.

I think the current opinion (this week) from AFPC is that we don't have enough pilots.

As it happens the new CSAF also thinks it's worth looking into, the test starts in Jan. By this time next year we should all know.
You made my argument for me. Given recent history, I'd question my thought process if my beliefs were in line with AFPC and CSAF (or most any general, in general). I'm talking about what's right, not what's expedient or not what's political.