View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 05:31 AM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Future

Originally Posted by toeman9
I've been reading posts on other forums here at APC and I'm getting depressed. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm seriously considering going into aviation, but after reading so many posts speaking poorly about the job market and flight school debt, I'm starting to get scared.

The industry has got to be getting better after a bust like what 9/11 did. I mean, you can only go up from from such a travesty, right? By the time I finish flight school and get all of my ratings and hours...some years down the line, maybe 10 years, I'm thinking that the industry will have figured a way of becoming more efficient and pilots won't have to leave the country and fly out of Dubia or Singapore.

Are pilot jobs really bunk? Am I just being delusional, or do any of you agree that YES, the future will be better. If I don't go to flight school and become a pilot, I don't know what else to do? I've grown up on planes. My father is a retired 747 Cpt. that let me hang out in the cockpit during preflight checks. I love flying but I'm afraid that the "pilot's life" will create a definite strain on my marriage particularly if the future is dim.

Please help me see clearly through the clouds, and don't any of you advise me to go into accounting. Desk jobs drive me crazy!

Things have not gotten better since 911. Planes are flying again but the pay is lower and working conditions more difficult. It may plateau for a while but the overall trend for the last 25 years has been downwards in regards to pay and work rules.

SkyHigh