Thread: Solidariety to our Midwest Brothers

katana , 09-20-2008 06:30 AM
Line Holder
katana
Line Holder
close
  • Joined APC
    Jul 2007
Quote: I just joined the forums tonight, and happened upon this Topic.

I have been a Midwest First Officer for 8.5 years. This next month in October I will be furloughed again, for the 3rd time in 8 years.

Our 717's are disappearing and 273 out of 400 total pilots are being furloughed along with close to 300+ flight attendants.

16 of our 25 717's are being returned to Boeing. The remaining nine I believe are on temporary lease.

In June 08, our Management came to us and asked the Senior Captains that would be remaining after the record furlough to take a 50% paycut, which would put the Max pay for a Captain after the cut to $87/hour.

They asked the Junior Seniority Captains that would be downgraded to the right seat for a 72% paycut. 72% !!!!!!!!!!!!!

NOT !
How about Full pay till the last day...!!!

Management said that if we did not agree to this "Fair & Equitable" request, then Midwest would have to file Chapter 11. So the pilot group, said (FU)
go ahead and file, because NO Judge would ever grant a 72% paycut to a union group. So the final due date came and went, and then it was announced ( 3 months later) that the 717's would be leaving and that Republic would be coming in to fly our routes until Midwest could replace most of us with the Republic crews for only 8 months to a year.

This is in direct violation with our contract.
Midwest cannot have a company come in longer than 6 months and fly our routes, AND furlough at the same time.

When I found out that another company's pilots were coming in to take my job I was angry. When I found out that Republic was represented by the teamsters, I was furious.

Our Management using another Union Company to force us out of work and to take a 72% pay cut..

What is your company telling you?

What is your Union telling you?

I know you start service on OCT 1st....

While my Brothers are getting pink slips..

Maybe we can work together for the benefit of us all...
I'm sorry to hear that. I used to commute from MKE when i was working for skyway airlines until skywest took our routes away and all of our pilots got furloughed. Well guess what all the Capt. and FO said when we were getting furloughed? "Good luck buddy, that's how this industry goes sometimes and i know we are next". Yea, i do understand. I dont want to blame on anyone else, not even skywest pilots. If you guys knew that it was coming then why didnt you guys do anything about it? Why couldnt you support skyway pilots instead of waiving your hand and see us walk out. Maybe because you werent in our shoes.

I'm getting tired of this. I miss the old day when we could walk up to any pilot and start a conversation, not giving dirty looks. I hope this is a time where all US pilots become one and take control of the company and not get tossed around for $20,000 FO pay. I just hope we get fair pay and treatment from the management.

Once again, I feel your pain and i'm sorry this happened to all of the pilots out there.