Thread: Tail Slides
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 04:13 PM
2dotslow
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Originally Posted by jungle
2dotslow, Your AF background says everything about your lack of experience with departure from controlled flight. Navy pilots got repeat checkouts in the T-2 and if you didn't depart once in a while during an ACM engagement you really weren't trying hard enough. I do remember flying into a few AF bases that had all the tactical air grounded for 500 and 1/2, the AF does have an outstanding safety record.
I used to teach spins and departures in the T-2, so I've seen more than a few departures. Just because you've never tail slid an F-4 doesn't mean it hasn't been done-I've seen several and all manner of departures in the same A/C without a problem. Scoff away demo pilot, but don't think it can't be done.
Two points, two questions, jungle. First, as I said, the T-37 was/is? used for departure/spin training. Student pilots had to demonstrate proficiency in both spin prevention and spin recovery procedures. It was the only aircraft in which a pilot was allowed to purposely depart controlled flight. That training sufficed for the basics of departure recognition and recovery techniques...the actual procedures were as varied as the tactical planes they subsequently flew. Secondly, the McDonnell Aircraft F-4 manuals and the AF's Dash 1 restricted maneuvers like tailslides, intentional spins, roll coupling entry, etc. If NATOPS didn't prohibit them as well, I'd be very surprised. Questions: 1...what do weather mins for certain places or operations have to do with anything in this discussion? 2...What exactly do you mean by "I've seen several..."? Seen? You did them, rode in the backseat, in a chase plane, what? Oh yeah, I never said it couldn't be done...just stupid to do it in tactical warplanes. Besides, you'd already seen the movie in trainers, so unless you wanted to shine your ass, who cared.