Thread: Tail Slides
View Single Post
Old 07-12-2006, 05:19 PM
Nightflyer
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: Crewmember

Originally Posted by 2dotslow
Two points, two questions, jungle. First, as I said, the T-37 was/is? used for departure/spin training. Student pilots had to demonstrate proficiency in both spin prevention and spin recovery procedures. It was the only aircraft in which a pilot was allowed to purposely depart controlled flight. That training sufficed for the basics of departure recognition and recovery techniques...the actual procedures were as varied as the tactical planes they subsequently flew. Secondly, the McDonnell Aircraft F-4 manuals and the AF's Dash 1 restricted maneuvers like tailslides, intentional spins, roll coupling entry, etc. If NATOPS didn't prohibit them as well, I'd be very surprised. Questions: 1...what do weather mins for certain places or operations have to do with anything in this discussion? 2...What exactly do you mean by "I've seen several..."? Seen? You did them, rode in the backseat, in a chase plane, what? Oh yeah, I never said it couldn't be done...just stupid to do it in tactical warplanes. Besides, you'd already seen the movie in trainers, so unless you wanted to shine your ass, who cared.
Just a head's up, 2 dots, the only Jungle I know was a Blue Angel, for two tours, no less. He can, unquestionably, walk the walk, is a superb aviator and an all-around great guy, not that you aren't, either.