View Single Post
Old 07-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Chase87
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Well, one of my biggest influences was actually my local FBO. However, it wasn't "positive". Out of the instructors, I found only one good guy who actually took the time to explain things and help me if I requested it. The others were fresh CFIs with attitudes. (My guy retired soon after I began) So, with that, I made sure I wasn't going to attend another one in the area.

I did however, ask them questions about flight schools and what they thought. Alot of them really had no opinions other then the typical, "He said, she said, I heard, I read". Though, I did run into a few people who all had mixed feelings about each academy. I heard good things about them all and bad things about them all. I was actually surprised to hear ATP getting put down as much as I did from the instructors. (After reading all these posts, it seems that what most people lean to) - But anyways, just about each of the instructors told me that it's difficult to get a real opinion because most people are biased towards their favorites. (Which, in reality, is 100% correct). Anyways, I don't mind exploring other schools or academies. However, there were a few things that turned me away from some of these schools. Phoenix East and ATP both haven't returned my calls after leaving several messages throughout a weeks time. (Not the best first impression). FSA however, did discuss their options and seemed like a great place. In fact, I'm buying my own tickets down to FL to visit both DCA and FSA.

However, here's my downfall with FSA. Immediatly from the moment the gentleman said hello was about the same time I thought I was at Circuit City with one of their customer sales agent. My questions were answered with more "ummms" then anything. He didn't seem to be very knowledgable with the product that he was trying to sell. Though, DCA, the advisor spoke to me as if I was a normal person. I read about all the people complaining over DCA advisors treating them as if they were nothing really and showing them the "glossy side of things". Simply put, he answered my questions, elaborated on them, repeated them if I had to, and had a typical discussion. I will be visiting the campus as well as FSA to make one of my initial decisions. I understand the price is steep and that alot of people don't agree with this academy. Which may be the case... and I know alot of you guys are trying to make sure no one goes through a hell that others can, but personally, I haven't heard the same opinions from the people I've spoken with to about the school. Occasional negavtive point or two, but other then that, just the price. And as I said initially, I'm fortunate enough to not have money as a factor. Regardless of what I chose, like I said also in my first post, I'm a dedicated, motivated person, and I know I'll make it regardless of the route I chose. I just have that type of "gung-ho" attitude towards life. I do appreciate all opinions and I'm not trying to come off hostile at all. Thanks though guys!

-Chase