View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 01:56 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by Nightsky View Post
Definitely get the general business degree. Much more useful, known, and accepted. Trust me on this!! I got an aviation business degree, and I've found it about as useful as a degree in underwater basket weaving.

As the bro's on the corner say: True dat!

I, too, have an business degree; albeit it's from Riddle and I finished in '87. BS in Aeronautical Studies w/AOC in Air Transportation Management. Basically, I majored in Airline Management, however, all of my professional experience has been in airport management. I've worked the ramp for DAL & CMR @ KPBI and KCVG respectively.

I would encourage you to pursue airport management and operations. Become very familiar with FARs 77, 139, 1520, 1540, and 1542. Know it like the back of your hand. In addition Part 150....deals with noise contours around an airport.

Understand this though, in the field of airport management, it is usually operated by either city or county employees or that government seat may have created an Airport Authority which may or may not be seated city council members or county commissioners.

Google Association of American Airport Executives. Follow the links to view all of the posted job openings, then come back to "Leaving the Career thread and share your findings and thoughts. I think you will like what you see in terms of starting salaries.

All the best.

atp

Last edited by atpwannabe; 09-28-2008 at 10:51 AM.