View Single Post
Old 09-28-2008, 11:16 AM
usmc-sgt
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

Likes-
The people

Landing (in the Dash 8 you never master it and it always gives you something new to work on)

Some of the great approaches out there

Being able to go most anywhere most anytime for free (even though I never go anywhere but home with my family)

Some fun overnights with a great crew

Doing an overnight near my home and having my wife meet me at the hotel for a night out

The visuals, I see some of the most interesting and awe inspiring things that I cant even explain and that a picture cant even do justice

Flying in general. I truly enjoy flying (although VASTLY prefer flying GA out of my small grass strip) I rarely do not look forward to starting the day when I wake up in the morning at the hotel. Of course I would rather be home but I do not dread going to work. The crew I fly with has a great impact on this.

Being admired by people who do not know any better. Most of my friends and wifes co workers are very impressed that I am a pilot and are very curious of what I do and envious of the 100K that I pull in while traveling to exotic locations and working 12 days per month. I dont tell them the truth unless they are my close friends.

Flying new types. Every new plane I fly is a joy at first and I am always impressed and eager to tell people that when you transition from type to type the actual flying part is no difficult a transition then when you were a private pilot switching from a 152 to a 172 to a seminole. Flying is flying and once you are in the air whether it is a CRJ or a 747 the same principles apply.

Cons-
THE PAY, I make less than nothing and havent made this little since I worked at a fry dough stand in the 8th grade and even then it was close

The long days with no pay. With EWR always having edc times when we do not board the pax I will have an average of 5 hours some days over the course of the day of sitting in the airplane without the pax boarded when I am not getting paid.

The job can be extremely mundane and I at only 1 year in do not feel I can necessarily get any better at my job. I do the same basic tasks and do them well and dont see how I can do them any better. Sure of course I will gain more experience which is the whole point but after 700 hours in the plane I have a basic grasp of its capabilities and my tasks will never change. Walkaround, flows, entering data into the FMS and running checklist. Seriously, how long does it take to master the 15 tasks that I do on a given flight?

The people. I can work with the same CA for the month who is the last person I would want to ever talk to let alone sit in a cubicle for 130+ hours per month with.

Overnights with horrible crews (see above) where you go to the hotel bar and drink alone.

Commuting. I have one of the easiest commutes of anyone out there and I bring it upon myself but it still sucks the life out of me.

Dealing with the company and crew sched.

and of course paying 90 bucks for a medical every year that I may or may not pass and will end my career indefinately and the FAA who cant wait to pull my certs when I turn to a wrong heading or the AP doesnt intercept the loc and I miss it.

This list could go on forever but most has been said already