Thread: UPS: The F word
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2008, 05:44 PM
UPSFO4LIFE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DC-8 756/767

Originally Posted by SaltyDog View Post
<BG> They do this all the time. UPS is always tweaking. Read the changes in the bid packets. Glad they do! After the 97 strike was settled, CAE closed up, it looked like RFD before that. No one was furloughed. Part of the reason everything doesn't come through SDF in the first place is volume limits on NDA. Even Worldport won't provide all the necessary business requirements.
The other reason is contingency. Think the SDF snow/ice storms. They have come to rely on the ability to move sort capability around. Fedex does same. (Where UPS got the idea <g>)

I see what you are saying but like I said, if volume continues to drop(and I mean a huge drop), they may close another sort facility and put that volume in SDF. Also, I have been through many storms in SDF and have learned that contingency will NOT move the sort to other hubs. I think you would agree that there have been several storms this year alone that, if they were going to divert volume and aircraft, it would have been done. Also, PHL, RFD could not handle a fraction of what flows through SDF if SDF were to close.