View Single Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:43 PM
widebodyjunkie
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Default Regionals...shady?

hey I'm sorta new to the airlineforum. I want to become an airline pilot someday and know where I need to begin in terms of schooling, ratings, instructing for a while and all of that....but, I have some additional questions before I decide to sink my wallet into this profession.
(1) On an average basis, how long does it take a FO to upgrade to a captains chair at a regional? I've heard a lot of instructors say that is only takes a couple of years, but I've read on some other forums that it can take up to five years....any truth to that?
(2) is it true that if you should happen to leave an airline or even become furloughed, that you have to completely start over with another airline in terms of pay? what about if you already typed in one aircraft and you get hired by another airline flying the same aircraft....do they still start you over at first year pay? Even if you have years of experience already built up?
(3) Furlough to my understanding is basically a temporary lay off, in which you basically are still employed by the airline you just don't get paid and you don't fly....correct? So...on an average basis, how long would you guess an pilot would be on furlough at a regional? I would assume it depends on the airlines revenue as well as economic factors, but is it very often that you can expect to be furloughed for more than a year?
(4) currently, I don't have a degree. I am a software engineer and have been in the business for over 7 years. Is that going to someday limit my exposure to airlines that will actually hire me? Say Southwest or Delta? I know that many of the majors and legacys look for degrees, but are they willing to look at overall work experience instead of rather or not you have a piece of paper from a university?
(5) Reserve time I interpret is the amount of hours the airline pays you for each month regardless of how much you fly? And can someone please help me understand what is the difference between being on reserve, verses a line holder, and whatever other "holder" there is in between? That's all over my head and I can't find a forum that explains it in detail.

Any airline pilots out there....I'd appreciate your tips and answers.