View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 12:19 AM
flynavyj
Gets EVERY weekend off

Joined APC: Jul 2006
Position: SIC

There was a post about not commuting to work. It's two fold. I've done both, lived in base and commuting (currently commuting), and i will say that commuting is much more stressful than living in base. On the other hand, i've had several buddies, some who moved to St. Louis to be based at "home" and others who moved to the domicile that they're company placed them in. Because regional airlines do things at the discression of the major they're working for, bases can open or close very quickly, leaving you, the employee with a 1 year lease in some undesirable location. Same happens for you if you get furloughed, one buddy was lucky, and some of his co-workers picked up the slack on his lease after his furlough, now, they're getting furloughed also, and will have an apt. in a city that they didn't have much interest in being in. So, like i said, it's a two edged sword. Not sure about most, but my crappy regional will also not compensate you much (if any) for making a move across country for the company, over here, you'll have to fight to get the days off to actually do the move itself.