View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:37 AM
kersplatt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

This is a great thread and I wish I knew more of the facts before I sunk my savings and sold my soul to get through flight school. If I knew then what I know now and predicted 9/11 would I have still done it? Yes, it was my dream and no regrets. However, always, always, always have a back up outside of aviation. And I don't mean have a degree in communications or philosophy. Something solid that will make you marketable during tough times. I met a guy at Mesa that is an RN, this guy will never be unemployed. And yes, you can get by without a degree but why try to limit yourself. Suck it up and get a degree in something that will help you if the airline industry crumbles. Which is does almost like a clock every 7 years.

Also, don't rush through flight school in hopes of grabbing a great job and paying the debt off later. Try to go slow and pay as much as you can then. Unless you have a rich dad or won the powerball it is almost impossible to get through training without debt but no need to go from zero to CFI in 3 months like some of these accelerated programs claim. Flying once a week may actually be more benificial to retain in the long run.

Make a plan now and even have your eye on which regional you want. It will help you make decisions about which is the best route for you to take. Of course you can change your mind and adjust when you get farther along but there are different tactics on how to get to your preferential airline.