View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 AM
kersplatt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by widebodyjunkie View Post
well let's say I decided to go Cargo, is it possible to get a job with a cargo airline out of instructing? I'm sure you could with the smaller ones such as Ameriflight, but aren't some of those a little shady as well in terms of pay, job security, and benefits? Plus, I would assume the traveling with them would be even worse because as a rookie, you'd be stuck flying mostly at night for quite a while if not for years. chip in anyone?
First of all, if you are trying to avoid instructing, it may not be the job for you. Very few make it without instructing. Again, depends on your budget but the cheaper route pretty much requires you to instruct for at least a year. I am not even going to cram down your throat how much you are going to enjoy instructing because most don't but will never admit it.

Cargo is a great job but also not a way to avoid instructing. Most cargo operators are 135 and single pilot so the minimums are much higher than the regionals. Others are much more dodgier operations than all the bad in the regionals combined.

Great questions but know that there are few ways around instructing and you will 'doing your time' before you get to sit in the right seat of a 737. Coorporate is also an option but again, you have to have some experience before someone is going to let you jump from a Seminole to a multi million dollar aircraft.