View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 11:20 AM
kersplatt
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Your plan sounds good. Don't rush, enjoy it. Learning to fly is sometimes hard but should always fun. I loved my training. Actually, I do think you retain more by not rushing it.

Not all regionals are crap money. I know several regional captains that make $90,000 a year and feel they can't leave because it is a big paycut. It took them about 7 years to get there but all of the majors are starting off at half that, or less. It will take another 3-5 to get back to that range.

There are good jobs out there but you have to be patient. I think all pilots prefer you turn down the bad ones in order to help bring up the standard.

It is more difficult when you are married but it is workable. Especially if you can be based somewhere you want to live with the family. Being on reserve and sitting in your living room watching TV can be great.

It is an unstable industry but have a back up and a good savings. There is no stratedgy to avoid the downturn, it is unavoidable. It is luck where you are on the seniority list when it happens that will determine if you have a job or not. I know many that were fearful they would be furloughed but instead found another job and volunteered to leave. They saw it as a nice change and saved someone else from being forced out. If your back up is solid, you can be that person that leaves and may even make more money while you are gone.