View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
Led Zep
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by widebodyjunkie View Post
well let's say I decided to go Cargo, is it possible to get a job with a cargo airline out of instructing? I'm sure you could with the smaller ones such as Ameriflight, but aren't some of those a little shady as well in terms of pay, job security, and benefits? Plus, I would assume the traveling with them would be even worse because as a rookie, you'd be stuck flying mostly at night for quite a while if not for years. chip in anyone?
but aren't some of those a little shady as well in terms of pay, job security, and benefits?
Depends who you work for. Pay generally is higher on the cargo side. Speaking only for myself, I was making $45k a year as a captain - and that was only 3 years after I left instructing. As far as job security and benefits, that is going to depend on who you work for. If your goal is to build time, I wouldn't worry about benefits. Concentrate on getting your time and moving on.

Plus, I would assume the traveling with them would be even worse because as a rookie, you'd be stuck flying mostly at night for quite a while if not for years. chip in anyone?
Depends who you fly for. Night flying isn't for everyone. Then again, neither is getting a wake-up call at 03:30 for your 05:00 show.