Thread: Can I Log This?
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2008, 05:42 PM
WmuGrad07
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by shanKs View Post
100% correct. I was asked this question on my CFI checkride with an FAA inspector. This was the answer he was looking for. Therefore do not log time when you haven't left the ground. Has nothing to do with oil pressure, has nothing to do with intent.
Originally Posted by todd1200 View Post
I could be wrong, but my understanding was that you had to actually takeoff for the taxi time to count. You could taxi around for an hour, takeoff and do one lap around the pattern, and log the entire time as flight time, but since you switched planes before taking off, I don't think it's flight time.
From FAR 1.1:

Flight time means:
(1) Pilot time that commences when an aircraft moves under its own power for the purpose of flight and ends when the aircraft comes to rest after landing

The fact that it says "after landing" seems to imply that you had to actually takeoff.

This is true! Your plane has to leave the ground in order to be FLIGHT TIME. If you don't leave the ground you never went flying so how can you log it has flight time... Maybe you should start another line "Taxi time" and try to let an airline know that you taxied for .6 one day and returned the plane.