View Single Post
Old 10-03-2008, 09:05 AM
captain152
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008

Originally Posted by proskuneho View Post
Hello all. I am a career changer. After a decade in management, the flying bug is really getting me. I am well aware of the ups and downs of the industry. I also understand the dues that the average pilot pays to earn the "dream job". I have already taken a huge pay cut to become a CFI/CFII/MEI, and anticipate another drastic cut whenever the regionals are hiring non-furloughed pilots again! Considering the fact that so many people leave other careers to chase the dream to fly, it must be worth the sacrifices!
Or is it? You are all aware of the stereotype of the whiny pilot, but I know that many pilots have valid reasons to complain. I am curious what many of you think, especially if you left a better paying (and more stable career) to do this.
Why do you like your job?
If you are not happy, why?
My opinion? I have got my first pilot certificate in 1996, and I just now have over 900 hrs with 155 multi. You don't fly much when you manage the people that are flying. For me, flying is amazing. There is awesome satisfaction in a nice instrument approach that leads to a greased landing. There is so much beauty, freedom, and excitement. What better office?
I love my job because:

even from 17,000 (the mighty Saab has a hard time getting above there when it's got pax) the view is pretty spectacular

no matter how many times you do the exact same flight, it's ALWAYS different

when the weather gets socked in, it brings in challenging situations that make you stay on your toes (as I like to call it "1.5 hours of boredom followed by 5 minutes of sheer terror")

talking sh*t and making jokes with the captain about random stuff and having "that's what she said comments" to see who can come up with the most creative ones ... and getting paid to do it!

doing what I love and getting paid for it ... enough said