View Single Post
Old 10-05-2008, 09:06 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by 250 or point 65 View Post
ok, i see where you're getting that, for currency.

however, i dont think that means i cant log an instrument approach flown by my student in IMC.

This is a good question, and actually, i'm gonna spin one off that i dont know.

Do both pilots in an aircraft that requires 2 log instrument time in IMC? Cause I don't log approaches my captain perfoms...this could be similar?
A CFII is the PIC (usually) and can log conditions of flight, including IMC. He can't log approaches or landings, and probably should not log holds and intercepting/tracking either...especially if he needs it for currency.

In a two pilot airplane, both pilots log conditions of flight: Day, night, XC. You can probably log IMC (not approaches) as a PNF SIC, but I do not.

However only the pilot flying should log those task which require sole manipulation of controls: Landings and approaches.

Some people debate whether an ATP can log certain things when he is PNF, but the safest thing to do is avoid regulatory grey areas...the guy who reviews your logbook at an interview may not share your personal opinion on grey areas. You could maybe argue it in court with the FAA, but an employer will likely not give you the opportunity to explain...just a "No Thanks" letter.