View Single Post
Old 10-06-2008, 09:08 PM
maveric311
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: AE ERJ FO

Originally Posted by Max Glide View Post
If I were you, I won't listen to Juice.

Granted that times are tough and few airlines are hiring, but we've had many pilots at Mesaba with less than 300 hours and they did well in the CRJ-200, CRJ-900, and the Saab340 classes.

You have impressive number of ME hours for your total time. Besides, many pilots with your number of hours had been hired to fly for major airlines all over the world so don't let this concern you.

Of course you'd find so many pilots here who somehow think that there's a 'magic' number of hours that qualify you to fly a HP Twin, Turboprop, a regional jet, or bigger jet.

Good Luck.
Yes these types of pilots can get through a structured airline program very well. Shooting approaches over and over again and getting procedures and profiles pounded into ones head is totaly different than flying the line. But how are you guys going to react when the SH** hits the fan. The lack of experience with stressfull situations combined with the preasure of on-time performance and heavy weather can and does break these guys down. 250hrs is not enough to Safely handle anything that could possibly be thrown at you on the line. Instructing exposes you to intesnse situations and you learn not only how to operate in airspace and busy airports but you learn how to properly respond to stress and deal with the responsibility of being Pilot in Command. What are these guys gonna do if the Capt. (god forbid) passes out or becomes incompasitated. a 250 hrs pilot has never been in the plane by themselves except on VFR solos now he/she is at 30,000 ft with thusnderstorms and icing and has to guide an aircraft full of 50 people safely to the ground on his own. Are you realy ready for that???? come-on, anyone who would say yes to that I would not want to fly with ever!

Go instruct, get ome expereince before you just through yourself out into the world. This job is not a video game.