View Single Post
Old 10-08-2008, 02:18 AM
atpwannabe
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by RmTrice View Post
The first guy who was talking sort of freaked me out with his "airlines want all your ratings plus aviation related experience that you only find in a university with an avaition program" type talk. Maybe I misunderstood, but is he implying that going to ERAU/FIT/UND/etc... and studying Avaition Business while getting your ratings for $120-$180 grand is more attractive to airlines? Personally, i made the financially wiser decision to get my raitings at a flight school i can afford to go to while attending UCF's business school where my scholarships should pay for almost 100% of my tuition.

So my guess with this shortage is that it will magically return once the economy improves and the 65 year old retirees start leaving the industry? I certainly hope this is so. I was very interested in the points made about CFIs needing better pay and benefits as well as reforming the way flying is taught to us students.

Now that you mention it, yeah...he didn't seem to imply that. I guess that's why some of the regionals are initiating these bridge programs with the uniersity types.

As far as the shortage; I believe there is one with FO's at the regional level. It's being masked by all the other disinformation activities that are coming to the forefront as our ecomony slowly unravels. Notice that the price of oil is now closing in the $80-$90/barrel range and going lower...the government wipes the slate clean for banks, mortgage companies and financial lending institutions....????!!!!!

IMHO, I believe that once the mask was snatched off the monster in terms of our fledgling economy, those in these high minded "Think Tanks" crunched the numbers and said in lay terms...."we just need to start over".

atp