View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 04:37 AM
alfaromeo
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
That's probably true Scoop. But I think DALPA could have just presented their case without the attempt at tearing down NWA and trying to make it look like we had no future. It was so easily disproved by our lawyers, that it did nothing but sew seeds of future discontent. I hope NWALPA does not attempt to show DAL as a weak sister with no future.

The truth that nobody except Spaceman can disagree with is this: This is a merger of equals. Both strong, both with good futures. Equals.

Carl
Carl,

Read the transcript carefully. The DALPA team did not try to tear down Northwest as a franchise. They only said that Northwest management had a plan in bankruptcy to replace their aging, fuel guzzling DC-9's with RJ's. The record shows that that is exactly what Northwest is doing. It is good for the franchise, but bad for pilot expectations at Northwest. There is some reason why your negotiators came up with a FURLOUGH MITIGATION agreement, my guess it was because the company was about to furlough excess pilots caused by the DC-9's going away. I am sure you have some other explanation.

Interestingly, the Delta pilots waived a portion of their contract that would have forced management to hire pilots to fill the MD-88 first officer positions. Let's see, one airline needs to hire, one airline needs to furlough, I wonder how that will work out. I just can't think of any solution that could possibly work. Why would the Delta pilots hold off on new hires?