View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 05:07 AM
acl65pilot
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

Originally Posted by Winston Smith View Post
I'm curious to find out how many of the NWA pilots hired in the last "boom" (as short as NWA's "boom" was compared to DAL's) were rejected by DAL's "outlandish" process first (which we should be able to ascertain)...and how many of them were hoping for DAL and got an interview/job with NWA instead (we can only speculate on that number).

Easy, I'm not trying to knock on the 15 guys hired at NWA who actually wanted to live in an NWA hub, and for whom NWA was #1 on the list. I bet they're not good poker players.

I'm pretty sure any sane guy not living in an NWA hub would have rather been hired at DAL (better pay, better DC plan, better EVERYTHING).

Hopefully this will be on the arbitrators' radar at some point.
A few things on this. I rarely agree with Spiff, but he has a point. This did happen. I know of at least three guys that were turned down from DAL and went to NWA, interviewed, were hired, and are on the seniority list now.

What I disagree with is this. It is 100% totally inconsequential that they went to NWA after being turned down at DAL. How many of us were shot down somewhere and got hired somewhere else. None of those guys that this happened to deserved to get shot down here. They were all awesome sticks and great individuals. For one reason or another they failed here. Heck if you think to much in the psyche process you get flagged. You mess with the MMPI you get flagged. DAL is a very legal company. Lets just leave it at that.
I will promise you 100% that there will not be a word of this discussed in the arbitration. If it is, it is because we as DALPA screwed up and are grabbing at straws. These guys have flown a revenue flight and are protected under the RLA. End of story.
Guess what same thing happened with the Western merger. DAL did nothing about it. Those guys are now 767 CA's and are awesome. You can tell who they are the second they walk in to the flight deck. Believe it or not good people do get turned down.
I personally would love DAL to go back to the two strike process it had back in 01. It is a big deal to interview here, or anywhere else. Everyone makes a mistake. Heck there are a few that have gotten through that DAL regrets. It is what it is.
I am glad to see these guys come over here. It will be great for them. They will no longer have to commute if they choose not to. That is a great benefit for them.
The issue is the one or two that are still swimming in the pool at NWA that this happened to. What DAL does with the NWA pool is up for debate. Suffice to say Flt Ops. has no control over it. It is in the hands of DAL legal.