Old 10-09-2008, 11:42 AM
robthree
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: 777, sofa

250, well said.

For clarity 250 cited 61.51, Pilot Logbooks, which states further:

(g) Logging instrument flight time.

(1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
(2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting instrument flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions.
(3) For the purposes of logging instrument time to meet the recent instrument experience requirements of §61.57(c) of this part, the following information must be recorded in the person's logbook—
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.

Paragraph (2) is the one customarily interpreted to mean that a CFII may log approaches conducted in actual conditions, as clearly the approaches could not happen at all without his presence. Paragraph (3) refers to logging instrument time, however §61.57(c) (1) has no hour requirement, only (i)6 approaches, (ii)holding procedures, (iii)intercepting and tracking courses.

I must therefore conclude that "instrument time" also means "instrument approaches", as well as holding and intercepting & tracking courses.

In summary, if you do it in the clouds, log it.