View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 03:16 PM
LucasM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Default Aircraft out of annual inspection

This may seem like a no brainer type of thing, but for somebody craving flight hours and who's mind might be a little bit clogged, I wanted to ask this before I get myself into trouble.

There is this guy I met once with an A36 V-tail Bonanza, and he's a "mechanic". He tells me "Oh man Lucas I know this airplane inside and out, i've taken it apart and put it all back together again", which is fine and all. But then he tells me that he hasn't had an annual inspection in YEARS and the prop has an A.D. that is 400 hours out of date. The reason he does all his own work is because "paperwork is just so the FAA has a finger to point at when things go wrong".

The reason i've brought all this is because he wants me (CFI) to fly with him and I guess give him a BFR or something, I have no idea. I guess what i'm getting at is, would I and how much trouble would I get myself into for flying with this guy in an UNairworthy airplane?

I've worked to dang hard to risk getting all my certificates taken. This guy would probably laugh in my face too if I asked him for a copy of his passport or birth certificate.

But I think I may have just answered my own question. Just was looking for some input on the matter though.