View Single Post
Old 10-09-2008, 08:18 PM
staplegun
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2007

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler View Post
Dead on Kevin. Are you sure you're a Delta pilot??

Carl

Yeah, I'm a Delta pilot. I live in Chicago, though, so I'm acually looking forward to commuting to MSP or DTW - maybe I'll get to fly with you!

Should be fun, eh?

Originally Posted by Kingbird87 View Post
I'm an over 50 NWA guy that applied at every airline I could think of, plus Customs, Lockheed Production Test, and even a three letter organization that begins with C and ends with A. I was hired in early 87 by Western, American, Piedmont, Gulfstream Production Test, and NWA. Delta canceled my Western class, American had a 17 year B scale, Piedmont, where I really wanted to go, announced the US Air merger and I had the chief pilot tell me to think hard about it, hint, so I went to NWA with no B scale, and at that time more than a few pilots were leaving Fedex, Delta and American to come to NWA. Up until the LBO by Checchi and Wilson, NWA was top tier with Delta. I had an opportunity with a class action suit to go to Delta about 18 months later over the Western class cancellations and declined. The point of all this drivel is that to you Delta brothers, we are probably more like you, and you are more like us than any group in this screwed up business.
Not to get your shorts in a knot, but in hindsight it looks like I did OK. The no B got the first 6 years out ahead, the return on our concessions in 92' paid off as a positive, made Captain in 9 years, was making 219 an hour on the bus before the flag went up, got a very nice equity stake, and kept some portion of my defined benefit plan. And now a merger. I'm thankful it is with Delta, believe me. We will add to your legacy,and bring some surprisingly good ideas, and by and large hope to finally feel appreciated by those we work for, and with.
We won't be backing up to the pay window with any feelings of low self worth. We are a pioneering airline, probably more than any legacy carrier in many ways, and RA knows more about this than anyone. We can't wait to contribute to Delta!
The SLI is out of my hands, all of our hands. I know I'll take some hits. After it comes out, we'll be Delta as much as you. No, we didn't start there, but I'll get to see squadron mates, the little brother of my best friend, classmates from college, and guys I taught as an IP. Bring it on!

Kingbird 87

Great post!

FWIW I was hired at USAir the week they bought Piedmont and ended up starting as a Piedmont pilot.

I spent 3 years there flying with "boy Captains" younger than me before I saw the light and wangled a Delta interview.

I look at the Nicolau award and shudder everytime...

Good luck to us all!

Kevin