View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Jetset0045
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Learjet 45
Post Does Quality of Life Matter??

Hey guys, need a little help to put some things in perspective....

I work for a part 91 corporate operator that flies typically around 400 hours a year. We operate one airplane, and the pay is not bad, but could always be better. Last year we did about 80 overnights each. We had a three pilot rotating schedule, that allowed every third week off. Quality of life was pretty good.

Due to economic times, and some other unfortuante circumstances, the number of pilots on staff for the airplane has dwindled down to two. There is absolutely no hard time off. The company is unwilling to pay contract pilots. There is more flying and RON's, way less time at home, and no more compensation. Quality of life is getting pretty bad, because there is no homelife, or time away from the airplane.

I believe that the quality of life you have at a job is just as important as the salary. However, when you try to defend your position to your employers, they give you replies such as; "your on vacation every time you fly somewhere."..."you're just sitting in a hotel when you're on the road, we're out working!"....or "well, you didn't get called to fly yesterday, you had that day off".....

Have i made a huge mistake making my living in corporate aviation, expecting a decent salary, and an overall good quality of life? Or is this a universal attitude from companies, and this is how the world works...Let me know your thoughts!