View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
FDX aviator
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Vertical

Originally Posted by JetJocF14 View Post

If your coming from the DC-10 remember it's an electronic DC-10. All those checks that your second officer did are now done by the system controllers. Systems are pretty much the same as the 10. Do not get the attitude that if the the A/C is not doing what you want you can turn it all off and fly it like a 10. At least not in the training enviroment.

Finally I've been through the Bus when it was AQP and the Mad Dog when it was not. Others will chim in I'm sure to offer you the most up-to-date gouge. I think our instructors are excellent with no real wankers that I know about. Its a big mountain to climb so just keep taking small bites and you will get thru it. About 3 months from the time you walk in the door. Good Luck I hope your junior to me............
I can't personally comment about how similar it is to the DC-10, since I never flew that one. But all the Capts in my class were DC-10 guys.

What I would suggest by observing them is to remember not to get too wrapped around the axle about accomplishing the same task using different procedures. Just play the game.
It may be an electronic DC-10, but the MD community wants you to learn it their way.
If you show up having learned all the phase 1s (definitely do that), note that there are "quotes" (things you're expected to say out loud) within the phase 1s. Only one guy in our class noticed this more than about 2 minutes prior to all of us taking the written phase 1 test. They do expect you to know what you have to say out loud. This caused great consternation in our class.
It may be death by acronym, but don't get too worried about that. The classroom instruction is excellent, and they'll teach you what you have to know to get through it.
They repeatedly will tell you, "you don't need to know that". If you really have a burning need to know something, they'll want you ask the question after class so you don't confuse others in your class. You're not expected to build the airplane.
As others have said, AQP is 'No pilot left behind'. I'm just glad they heard I was coming to the airplane and made it kinder and gentler for me.

There is a set of flash cards available from Kinko's/FedEx Office on Poplar in MEM that helped me greatly. On the first day of training, they will beat you about the head and shoulders that 'gouge=unupdated crap'. That may be, but the flash cards are a great tool to pull out of your bag on a trip to review. More than any other airplane I have flown, I have to review on a fairly regular basis...

Definitely have the LMS done prior to first day of class. For my puny brain, there were JUST enough hours in the day to get everything done not including all the hours of LMS.

Good luck!