View Single Post
Old 10-10-2008, 07:08 PM
boilerpilot
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: Satan's Camaro

Originally Posted by Mason32 View Post
First correct thing you've said..... and I'll add; the front seat of a transport category jet, with paying passengers behind you is not the place to be learning anything new other than advanced ADM, airline procedures, and techniques and pointers from your IOE and line Capt's. The basic of airmanship should have already be soundly learned. IOE Capt's and Line Capt's should not have to be watching your every single move in case you do something stupid.... but that IS what is happening.

I'm not sure why the low time folks place such a big deal on IMC time, you've mentioned it in each of your posts. I really don't care if you have 1 hour, or 1,000 hours of IMC time.... so long as you can safely fly the airplane, provide the smoothest ride possible for the pax, operate the equipment as efficiently as possible, and do not get me violated. Nowadays, anybody can hop into one of these ultra equipped small planes and go buzz around for hours upon hours IMC without ever having to engage a single brain cell. The notion of IMC time being the tell all, end all is about as out of date as thinking you will only do a year or so at a regional before going to some major.... cause it just ain't so.

I'll take the new hire FO that decided not to go flying, with RVR/2000 and VV/100, over the guy that did go any day. The new pilot who realized he/she didn't have to go, and didn't intentionally put themselves in that position is the guy/gal I want in the right seat.

I'll add one last thing... the latest round of new hires seem to have a chip on their shoulder... and they waste little time becoming real whiners about their low pay, when in fact they should be grateful that they have litterally bypassed every step of aviation learning and gone right to the front seat of a transport category jet. Then, they continue to complain about not being treated or paid as professionals while they show up with no uniform coat or hat, carrying their books and clothes in a backpack while whistling a tune to the ipod stuck in their ears.

end rant
Oh brother.

Did you also have to walk to school both up hill both ways bare foot in the snow in 150 degree heat?

Anybody in IOE for their first job is going to be overwhelmed, I don't care if you have 200 hours or 2000 hours. It's the very nature of 121 flying compared to any other type of flying. I've seen 300 hours pilots on IOE get engine failures and perform just fine.

The fact is that if you have a IOE instructor come into IOE with your attitude, then it doesn't matter the experience level of the student (with the possible exception of prior 121 experience), you're GOING to find points to prove your point. If they haven't flown IMC, you'll talk about their inexperience, if they HAVE, then you'll talk about their lack of judgement. If they haven't had any emergencies, you'll talk about their lack of experience and naiivite, if they HAVE, you'll talk about either their lack of judgement or say that it doesn't really matter. Which is it?