View Single Post
Old 07-18-2006, 05:26 PM
SkyHigh
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Expense

Originally Posted by flynavyj
A good buddy of mine took loans out for all his education and flight training, and he spent a ton of flight training, renting our baron and flying from the midwest to the east coast, arizona, etc...most of this time he was able to split with other student,s but still, it's not cheap. When he was all said and done, he was a CFI-II-MEI and high on our university's senority list but had spent upwards of 90k...he also had a approx. 1500 hrs of flt time, 250 hrs multi engine time, and at a young 22 yrs of age, was off to the regionals to start paying off his loans...

not much fun...on the contrary, my parents had a college fund for me which paid for all of my actual education, and my flight training was paid out of pocket. All in all, they spent approximately 35k on my flight training, and roughly the same on my education, 70k is expensive, but barely noticable compared to the high end of 180k...
Don't forget room and board and lost wages while in college. If you got a real four year degree then I am sure you have blown well over 100K. All that to earn less than a garbageman.

SkyHigh